Chemotherapy is a part of cancer treatment. Often abbreviated to chemo. It’s an aggressive form of chemical drug treatment which is meant to destroy the fast-growing cancer cells in body.
Chemotherapy is most often used to treat cancer, as cancer cells grow and divide faster than other cells in the body.
A cancer specialized doctor is known as an Oncologist. There are many chemotherapy drugs available. Chemotherapy drugs can be used alone or in a combination to treat cancer. Though chemotherapy is very useful for cancer patient and recommended by surgeons, chemotherapy treatment also carries side effects. some chemo side effects are mild and can be treated whereas other can cause serious complications.
Chemotherapy is used with combination of surgery, radiation and hormone therapy. The doctor will choose which chemotherapy drug you will receive for treatment which is based on several factors:
1. Stage and type of cancer you have
2. Patients overall health
3. Previous cancer treatment
4. The location of cancer cells
Before opting for any treatment take multiple opinion, discuss the treatment with oncologist. together you can decide which is best for you.
Chemotherapy is used to kill the cancer cells which grows rapid in the body. The chemotherapy setting is decided as per the cancer stage.
1. Chemotherapy is the primarily and solo treatment for Cancer. The treatment is usually taken for:
2. To reduce the size of Tumor
3. Chemotherapy is used after the surgery to kill if any cancer cell is remained in the body.
4. To lower the number of cancer cells in body.
Chemotherapy also prepares you for other treatments. It could be used to shrink a Tumor so it can be surgically removed or to prepare you for radiation therapy. In case of late stage cancer chemotherapy can be ease you with the pain. If you’ve undergone surgery of removing cancerous Tumor, your Oncologist may recommend you to have chemotherapy to ensure that any lingering cancer cells are killed as well.
Chemotherapy treatment other than cancer
1. Bone marrow diseases-
Besides treatment for cancer, chemotherapy may be used for Bone marrow treatment. This disease affects the bone marrow and blood cells can be treated with stem cells transplant.
2. Immune system disorders-
Chemotherapy drugs lower doses can help control an overactive immune system in certain diseases like Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis
Connect with top Doctors and Hospitals in IndiaGet Estimate
Chemotherapy drugs are intended to kill cancer cells that divide rapidly. Cells in the following areas can be adversely affected:
3. Lining of your intestinal tract
Side effects that occur during chemotherapy treatment:
4. Hair loss
5. Loss of appetite
8. Mouth sores
11. Easy bruising
Doctors can help you manage these side effects by medication and lifestyle tips. Many of these side effects can be prevented or treated. Most side effects subside when the treatment is over.
Long-lasting and late-developing side effects:
Chemotherapy drugs cause long term side effects which are visible until months or year of the treatment depending on the type of chemotherapy used.
These effects could include damage to the:
5. Reproductive organs
There are also few chances of developing a second cancer as a result of chemotherapy. Before your treatment talk to your doctor about the possible risk what signs and symptoms you should be alert.
1. How to prepare for the treatment depends on which chemotherapy drugs you will receive. It is important to plan ahead; your doctor will give you specific instruction to prepare for the chemotherapy.
2. Before you begin therapy, you will undergo with the serious of test to check if your body is ready for the chemotherapy.
3. Your doctor may recommend you to visit the Dentist before beginning the treatment. Any infection in your gums or teeth could potentially spread throughout your body. Since some chemotherapy may reduce your body's ability to fight infections.
4.If you are receiving your chemotherapy intravenously your doctor may recommend a device, such as a catheter, port or pump. A doctor may implant a port in your body typical in your cheats near your shoulder. This allows for easier access to your veins and is less painful. During each treatment, the IV will be inserted into your port.
5. Arrange any help for home and work. Most people can work during chemotherapy, your doctor will guide you how much chemotherapy affects your usual activity.
After chemotherapy treatment your doctor will regularly monitor the effectiveness of your treatments. this will include blood test and many more. Share your after treatment and side effects of chemotherapy as he will help you to controlled.